Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy Meal?

A friend of mine published a truly entertaining post about the follies of McDonald's tonight, and it made me shake my head and think of grossness. Just grossness. And, I suppose, gratitude that I haven't chosen to visit that establishment in a few years.



I detest McDonald's. I shudder at the happy-faced creepster clown whose seated plastic visage with outstretched arms entices innocent children to sit on his lap. I despise the oddly crunchy-yet-old french fry smell that wafts from its doors, reminding me of late nights worked at Walgreens in close quarters with unwashed, foul-breathed clientele. I loathe the flat, uniform nature of the hockey puck discs of meat. I hate the vastly unhealthy nature of McDonalds' processed offerings, and remember vividly how vile my stomach felt after gorging on a Double Cheeseburger to soak up a blotto Saturday night into Sunday morning. And in reminiscing, I invariably stray from my staunch disapproval and shame myself in thinking how good the preservatives in those hot, salty fries tasted, and have to remind myself that I abhor the abomination that is my hated and revered Chicken McNugget. Oh, how I have flagellated myself over my long-time love of those revoltingly processed nuggets. Year after year, I think the burning memory of those crispy, tasty little chunks of crack will fade, and year after year, I can still be tempted to run to the nearest McD's at the mere whiff of a co-worker's lunch. I hate you, McDonald's. You sicken me.

(I do like these Ronalds, however.)

Actually, if I remember correctly, the last time I went to McD's was in March of 2009 when I failed my Series 4 exam for work (spectacularly-- I got a 33%; I think I wasn't including the calculations of the fourth leg of the more complicated options orders) and, after beating my head against the steering wheel repeatedly and calling my boss in a distinctly not right state of mind, I plummeted to my own personal rock bottom. Sobbing during my very unsafe drive/swerve home, I veered into a McDonald's out of sheer, desperate need to recapture some semblance of feeling good. I took the drive-thru in near wails and ordered my precious nugget meal with a strawberry shake in a voice hardly recognizable as my own. Thankfully, the soothing scent of the squeeze-tube nuggets calmed me enough to complete the drive home in mere tears instead of hysterics, promising I'd feel happy again soon and that not all was lost. I selfishly cradled my pathetic stash with a paranoid eye as I stumbled into my thankfully empty living room and flicked on the TV. There, with Steve Wilkos breaking up screeching midget fights in the background, I slowly crammed nugget after nugget into my sniveling mouth, partially-chewed crumbs and strawberry shake dripping with my tears onto my gleaming hardwood floor.

5 comments:

  1. Can I just say I'm thrilled I've gotten a shout out? Because that rocks. :) One time my mom took Jackson to McDonald's for a Happy Meal. Upon entering, Jackson declares (loudly) "This place makes mommy puke". HAHAHAHAHA. I'm just saying a burger shouldn't dissolve in your mouth. That shit aint right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that was sad. How did you celebrate when you passed the test? I need a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be sad-- I had to stop writing this several times for laughing! Honestly, I don't even remember how I felt or celebrated when I passed the next time around. I probably smoked a bowl and went to get sushi and embarrassed myself munching out on like 72 pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gini, that was freaking hilarious. And sad. It's terrible how with chicken nuggets, like any hard drug, when the going gets tough you just need a hit. Not that I've ever really needed a hit of anything, mind you. Mmm...delicious delicious death...

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a greaaat post love your blog =) follow

    ReplyDelete